Submitted by Rick Pepper, Mankato
I worked for Team Electronics in the late 80s and early 90s, and every Christmas we would have a treat day. The highlight for me was the dessert that Susan Ray, the manager’s wife, would bring. They were called Bourbon Balls and they were so tasty and more-ish!
I have fond memories of working at Team and this dessert reminds me of Christmas from that period of time.
After all these years I finally obtained the recipe for myself, and for this article. Enjoy!
- 1 1/2 c powdered sugar
- 1/3 c Bourbon
- 1/4 c light corn syrup
- 2 1/2 c crushed vanilla wafers
- 1 c coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 T unsweetened cocoa powder
- Mix 1 c powdered sugar, bourbon and corn syrup in bowl
- Add wafers and nuts
- Stir until evenly moistened
- Pinch walnut sized pieces from mixture and roll firmly between wet palms to form balls
- Sift remaining 1/2 c sugar and cocoa onto wax paper
- Roll balls in cocoa mixture to coat evenly
- Allow to set for an hour then check if the color has darkened. If so, re-roll in sugar/cocoa mixture.
- Store in airtight container with wax paper between layers